Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Only Christians Go To Heaven?

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
Jesus answered, "I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me."    John 14:5-6.


By -=Bruce Berrien=-
Whether we are Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, etc.  I believe that the aspect of God that we encounter when we die is the Word, God in action, no matter what we called the supreme being(s) in life. That is what John 14:6 tells us.  It is a statement of mechanism, not exclusivity.

I believe that Jesus is God,  therefore the highest revelation of God in human history.  I also believe that all faiths have truth sufficient for salvation.   I do not believe God condemns anyone because of their place of birth nor do I  believe that Christians have an exclusive claim on God.

Conservative Christians are repelled by the possibility that their God and the God of Islam could be the same.  Muslims trace their ancestry through Ishmael, the son of Abraham by the slave girl, Hagar. Theirs is the God of Abraham whether conservative Christians like it or not. 

Atheists are close to God because to reject him they must first think about God.  Such thought puts them closer to God than all those who are indifferent and never contemplate God.  

My personal belief is that everyone at some point will be confronted by God and know that God is real.  At that point, they may choose to accept or reject God.  If they reject God, then they will cease to exist.  The soul is not immortal.  I  believe there is no eternal life separate from our Supreme Being.

No comments: