Monday, May 16, 2011

Draw a Line in the Sand

For if we hit the debt ceiling, the government will be forced to stop paying roughly a third of its bills, because that’s the share of spending currently financed by borrowing. So will it stop sending out Social Security checks? Will it stop paying doctors and hospitals that treat Medicare patients? Will it stop paying the contractors supplying fuel and munitions to our military? Or will it stop paying interest on the debt?     Paul Krugman

I have supported President Obama despite my belief that he values compromise above principal.  I voted for him in 2008.  Whether I vote for him again depends on whether he takes a stand against the
Republican goats( goats as in Matthew 25:31-46).


If President Obama does not stand up to Republicans over the debt ceiling and allows massive spending cuts, I will not vote for him because we might as well have a Republican in the White House.  Obama on the campaign trail talked a good show.  (I admit I preferred Hillary because I thought she was tougher and Obama had a habit of being condescending to women..)  I have been disappointed in his capitulation while in the White House to Republican grandstanding.

President Obama is wealthy and will not suffer from whatever he does.  I, on the other hand, am on a limited, fixed income, and because of a childhood illness (pre-existing condition) cannot get insurance.  The federal and state health risk pools are a farce:one would take more than 1/2 my income and one would take all of it to cover my monthly insurance premium.  The reality is that the health care reform has done absolutely nothing to help me.  My hope was to survive to 65, but the Republicans plan to destroy Medicare and, at  this point, I fear President Obama will aid and abet them.

 Draw a line in the sand, Mr.President.

No comments: