Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Golden Idol

By Barry Blitt
We are a self-centered nation.  Our goal is wealth.  Our God has become the golden idol of gratification.. Our corporations, who we are told are people, look only at the bottom line, not the worker at the bottom.

Romney tells us he is for a "self-reliant" nation not an "entitlement" nation.  What does that mean?  Do we expect the disabled and the elderly to be "self-reliant?"  Does the GOP expect to send representatives to nursing homes to tell the residents they must be "self-reliant" and care for themselves?  Do they euthanize those that are not?   Oh, no, nothing that extreme Republicans would say.  But they would return Medicaid to the states without oversight.  States like Texas provide as little care as possible even with federal supervision.  Without federal oversight, nursing homes would become swift tickets to the mortuary.

 Christ told us there are only two commands.  Love God and love your neighbor.  How do you love your neighbor?  Christ answered that in many ways.  All touch my heart, but the ones that sear my soul are these:"For I (Christ) was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.  I needed clothes and you clothed me. I was sick and you looked after me.  I was in prison and you visited me."   How do we make these words the truth?.   When we do for "one of the least of these brothers of mine."

How can we as Americans let the homeless sleep in the gutter?  How can we deny health care to those who cannot afford it?  We have a for profit prison industry which lobbies for laws that provide more prisoners for their facilities.  The health insurance industry makes money by denying care to the sick.  Republicans wish to repeal the law that went into effect this year that makes insurance companies use 80% of the money they collect in premiums for the health care of those paying the premiums.   Profits above lives. 

Too many flee to gated communities in fear of the other.  I believe Christ wants us to embrace the other.  Those that flee to those protected communities may find that another kind of evil has been locked up with them, a spiritual evil,  an evil that is only satisfied by avarice and separation.  

We need to become a nation that sees every person as too valuable to be lost.  We need to argue for future greatness not for protection of the status quo.  Our goal is should not be wealth. We must dethrone the golden idol of gratification.

No comments: