Friday, January 18, 2008

Christian blogs

I have been reading so-called Christian blogs this week. I find too many of them terribly depressing as they try to prove their view of Christianity correct. Many are all too eager to prove that another's beliefs are false. Very few would reach out to those that are not Christian. Many I believe would turn-off a non-believer.

Christ told us to love our neighbor as ourself, then gave the parable of the Good Samaritan. Do we forget that Jews of Christ's day did not believe that Samaritans were true believers? I believe that Christ was telling us that the fine points of theology are less important than how we treat others.

Jesus' command was simple: love God and love our neighbor as yourself. In the parable of the Good Samaritan(Luke 10:30-37), he told us who our neighbor is. Why don't we understand? Piety does our neighbor no good unless we turn it into action.

For me, the saddest blogs are by women who apologize to any man who might read their blogs and think that these women presume to teach men. Christ treated women as equals. The first to see the risen Christ was a woman. Only as the church hierarchy formed were women excluded from leadership roles. I believe God speaks to the hearts of men and women equally. Our duty is to heed that call.

Now, I am putting down the real beliefs of others. I am just as wrong. All I need say is that I believe in Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh. I will try to follow his command.

No comments: