Sunday, October 18, 2009

Resources in Pursuit of Christian Apologetics


In an article entitled the War over Religion, the author, Ian Boyne, notes that the atheists and secularists seem sometimes to have the better arguments, but that is due to lack of knowledge and rigor on the part of Chrisitian apologists. Mr. Boyne, a Jamaican journalist, goes on to give a list of intellectual rigorous works that can help Christians refute the arguments of anti-religion scientists, atheists, and secularlists as well as works by seculalists and atheists.

One statement by author Karen Armstrong reflected what I had noticed about the argument of some atheists. These atheists such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins are not arguing against Christianity as a whole but instead against Christian fundamentalism. Their choice of target inherently makes their arguments weaker.

After reading this article, I know I now have a new reading list. I plan to read works on both sides and broaden my knowledge. For me, increased knowledge has led to increased faith.

Photo by Bryan Cummings

No comments: