Monday, October 12, 2009

Thirty Senators Vote Against Women

Thirty male Republican senators and only these senators voted against an amendment brought by Senator Franken. All female Republican Senators voted for the amendment including Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas. The amendment is a result of a US contractor's attempt to suppress an American woman's right to take court action because she was raped while working in Iraq for the contractor. The company attempted to coerce the women into concealing the rape. This Minnesota Post article explains the circumstances and the discussion on the floor of the Senate.

Senator John Cornyn of Texas voted against the amendment. Since he is one of my Senators, I questioned him on Facebook. My questions and his answers appear below. My question leads. I have removed citizen names. Obviously, I did not like his answer.

No comments: