Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Presidential Candidates Yuck!

I am not enamored with any of the presidential candidates. Many of the Republics ( as long as I hear Democrat Party, I will refer to the opposition as the Republic Party) just plain scare me. I know Brownback would criminalize everything connected to embryonic stem cell research including being cured with any fruits of this research. Others would keep us in the Iraq war. Some profess not to believe in evolution. Guliani has a mixed record as mayor and a dismal record as a husband and father. I think that moral values do matter, although I do understand we are all human and fall short. We cannot demand perfection in our candidates.

The Democratic candidates are not much better. Obama sounds great, but he really lacks experience, just as our current President did. You see where inexperience got us. I still hold Clinton's health care fiasco against her. I think it was handled badly and not fought for. Then, there is her husband. He wasted his Presidency for personal gratification. How will he influence her? Edwards is probably my choice at the moment, but I don't think he can win. I think he has made some silly mistakes and not handled issues related to his money well. I suppose I favor him because of his health care proposal.

I think the real problem is the fact that both parties are influenced by special interests and big money, none of whom care what happens to the lower middle class and poor. This is a natural result because the lower socio-economic groups do not vote. In the past, unions could muster votes from the working class, but with the decline of unions, there is no motivating force. There is almost no difference between the parties. Business interests always trump consumer interests. This will continue until every day life is so bad for most people that they vote for a third party candidate. I think this will happen, first at local level, then at the national level, unless one of the parties wakes up and decides to represent the people.

No comments: