Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Health Care

I would like to make a doctor's appointment to see why I feel so rotten, but I can't because I don't have the money. I have health insurance through a high risk pool. I pay $650/month with a $2500 deductible. There is the problem. I am no where near meeting my deductible, so must pay out-of-pocket. I'm broke, no credit because I ruined that taking care of my mother with Parkinson's disease. I'll wait, either I'll begin to feel better or get sicker. I sometimes think that our health care system has been developed to weed out the sick and the poor so that we are not a drain on society. In other words, if care is bad enough or unavailable, we die, end of problem. Medicare is being attacked because too many of the elderly live now. Where are the Christian voices urging help for the sick, care for the elderly, compassion for the disabled? I remember what Christ said, when you care for the lest of these, you care for Me. We would rather hide in our gated communities and ignore reality and our faith. I believe we need a single payer sytem of health care. I don't think that will happen because too much money is made on suffering.

No comments: